Henrique Calado Riding Ring
The Henrique Calado Riding Ring was named in homage to the rider and commander of the Lancers Regiment No. 2 between 1967 and 1968. Family tradition (his father, a cavalry officer, was director of the Santos Jorge Stud Farm) had an impact from an early age and determined his sporting preference for equestrianism.
He began participating in riding competitions as a junior at the age of 13 and, over the course of his subsequent long sporting career, he competed in numerous international show jumping events and picked up a series of victories. He also competed in the equestrian event at the Olympic Games in London, Helsinki, Stockholm (7th place), Rome (10th place) and Tokyo. Among the awards he received included medals of sporting merit from both Portugal and Spain, the bronze medal of the Olympic Order from the International Committee, the Nobre Guedes medal from the Portuguese Olympic Committee and the gold emblem from the International Equestrian Federation.
The Henrique Calado Riding Ring features in a building complex belonging to the Lancers Regiment no. 2 of the Portuguese Army that traces its origins to the Queen’s Lancers Regiment founded in 1833 by the constitutionalist army during the Liberal Wars.
Following thorough renovation undertaken by Parques de Sintra in order to ensure its full rehabilitation and transformation into a Performance Riding Ring, the facility now contains a ring 18x48m in size, with a sand and fibre surface and seating for an audience of around 300 as well as being fitted out with the latest sound and lighting equipment. The Ring was inaugurated in June 2015.